Sheetrock from China – Do I need to be Concerned?
You may have read news reports about sheetrock manufactured in China that has been imported for many years to the United States through many well known Home Improvement Centers. States with high humidity like Texas and Florida have produced the most media coverage because the climate conditions in that region of the country cause this sheetrock to out-gas its poisons at a rapid pace.*
Chinese Sheetrock can be very dangerous to your health. Take some precautions and perform these 5 simple tests to help you determine if you have it in your home.
5 Tests to Insure Your Safety Regarding Sheetrock
- If you have noticed a pungent smell coming from your home you need to find the source. Chinese Sheetrock gives off a smell similar to faint Sulfur.
- If metals are corroding around your home you need to be concerned. Chinese Sheetrock has been shown to be very corrosive to copper pipes and wires found inside homes. Metallic wall hangings or picture frames turning black is another sign. A simple test you can perform is to take a piece of silverware and place or hang it in front of your air conditioners return air vent. If after a couple of days you notice a black material clinging to your silver you need to be concerned.
- If you own a relatively new home and your central air conditioner has given out prematurely you need to hire a professional HVAC specialist to come in and inspect your unit. They will be able to tell you if you have a corrosion problem with your unit.
- Remove several of your electrical plates and/or switch covers. You may find an edge of the Sheetrock that states it was Made in China. If none of your switch covers and/or plate covers reveal these tags you can go into your attic and pull away some insulation to read the paper edgings.
- Finally, if you or a member of your family has had any kind of new respiratory problem since moving into your home this may be caused by Chinese Sheetrock. It has been found to cause respiratory problems in homeowners due to the nasty emissions that pollute the air. Consult with your physician if you have preformed any or all 5 of these tests and know that you have this defective sheetrock. Please inform your Doctor that your symptoms most likely are due to Chinese Sheetrock in your home.
*Again this is because the humidity makes this sheetrock out-gas quickly unlike the California mild climate which doesn’t eliminate the hazards of this product – it just leaches out slowly over time and basically prolongs the harmful effects to the occupants.
Gio Fanelli – ERT, Inc.
Email: [email protected]
Thank you to Homestead is Home for use of their picture of Sheetrock from China. If you have a home in the Greater Homestead/Florida area, they might be a great resource for you.